Our experienced rehabilitation team is committed to each patient’s quality of care. Patients are empowered through individualized programs to reach goals of increased independence and ability. Patient families are also encouraged to participate in therapy sessions, caregiver education, and training.
Physical therapy focuses on identification and rehabilitation of individuals with physical impairment and pain, as well as future injury prevention. Following evaluation, the physical therapist develops an individualized treatment program.
Areas of treatment focus may include:
- Increasing strength and mobility in the body
- Increasing ability to walk
- Improving coordination, balance, and motor control
- Improving overall conditioning and endurance
- Managing chronic pain issues
- Teaching proper body mechanics to prevent injury and falls
- Promoting safety awareness for the well-being of the patient
Our occupational therapists use task-directed activities in the treatment of our patients whose functional abilities and independence with activities of daily living have been impaired by illness, injury, or normal aging.
Occupational therapy assists our patients in adapting to their social and physical environment by mastering tasks essential for daily living. Our occupational therapists may work with patients who have debilitating arthritic conditions or those with difficulty bathing, dressing, and other activities of daily living. They assist our patients with impaired vision and/or hearing to function well in their environment.
Areas of treatment may include:
- Functional independence: Eating, bathing, toileting, homemaking, cooking
- Maintenance of wellness: Dressing, grooming
- Prevention of further disability: Home assessments and modifications, adaptive equipment
- Increasing safety awareness: Energy conservation techniques, body mechanics
Our speech therapists provide a continuum of services, including assessment, education, and treatment for language, voice, articulation, and fluency disorders. Our treatment programs are directed towards improving communication skills and safe swallowing. We assist in rehabilitating patients who struggle with comprehension, memory, processing, and expression abilities. We also instruct the patient or the caregiver in the techniques ranging from head positioning to promoting safe swallowing at a slower rate to clearer speech. We also teach patients how to compensate if they cannot be rehabilitated to their prior level of performance.
Speech therapists work to restore the following abilities:
- Speech and voice clarity
- Comprehension and verbal expression
- Chewing and swallowing ability
- Cognitive language skills, like memory, problem solving, and abstract reasoning
- Patient and family/caregiver education and training for managing ongoing difficulties with communication, cognition, and swallowing